Chia seeds are an ideal breakfast or snack because they contain all of the essential macro-nutrients to keep you fueled. If you haven't tried chia seeds or have only used them as a topping instead of the main dish, try out my Warm Coconut Chia Porridge. I eat this for breakfast or sometimes as an afternoon snack, and it tastes like a comforting dessert. No sugar spikes or cravings to follow!
7 Reasons to Try Get Your Chia On
1. Chia seeds are a complete protein--note to vegetarians!
2. Chia seeds help retain electrolytes. When mixed with water, these little beads absorb up to 10 times their weight. I recommend consuming chia seeds before a workout to stay hydrated.
3. Chia seeds aid in digestive health. One serving contains 11 grams of fiber to keep you regular. These seeds also contain valuable minerals, which are needed to produce enzymes in the body to break down the food you eat.
4. Chia seeds reduce inflammation. Chia contains the highest level of omega 3 fatty acids of any known plant foods, which helps to decrease inflammation throughout the body. An anti-inflammatory diet is important to prevent disease.
5. Chia seeds balance blood sugar. Chia is high in fiber and fat, so it is digested slowly, helping to avoid spikes in blood sugar.
6. Chia seeds promote strong bones. Chia contains calcium, potassium, manganese and phosphorus, helping to maintain bone mass and strength.
7. Chia seeds improve cholesterol levels. Chia seeds have been shown to lower LDL cholesterol and increase HDL cholesterol (the good kind!).
Warm Chia Seed Porridge Recipe
What you'll need
1/2 cup full fat organic coconut milk, unsweetened (I use Native Forest)
1 cup water
1/3 cup chia seeds
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon liquid stevia (optional)
pinch of flakey sea salt
Whisk all ingredients together into a bowl
Refrigerate overnight (you can enjoy like this or keep going with the extra steps!)
Put chia/coconut mixture into a small pan on the stove and add 1 cup of water.
Heat on very low heat, stirring continuously until porridge is smooth and warm. Do not over heat!
Put porridge into a jar or bowl and enjoy!
Optional toppings: coconut milk, cacao nibs, nuts, seeds, goji berries, blueberries, hemp seeds
Coconut Milk Tip: The cream in canned coconut milk often separates from the water. To acheive more of a milky consistency, I remove everything from the can and blend the water and cream together. I use this milk in my coffee on a daily basis and it is delicious!