I recently gave up my dear friend Coffee. We were together since I was 16 so it was a big deal for me. I didn’t experience any of the withdrawal symptoms that I was dreading— headaches, irritability, fatigue…I had some help— I started replacing my morning cup of coffee with matcha. Matcha has been such a brilliant change for me that I am excited to share it.
In case you’re not familiar, matcha is green tea leaves ground into powder, and a popular drink in Japanese culture. While matcha doesn’t have as much caffeine as coffee--25 mg per cup compared to 100mg in a cup of coffee--it has three times the amount of caffeine as a cup of steeped green tea. Bottom line, you still get that get-up-and-go feeling that many of us are looking for. The best change I’ve noticed since transitioning from coffee to matcha is a more balanced energy that is consistent throughout the day (gone the 2pm slump). This change also eliminated my afternoon cravings for something sweet to pick me back up. Blood sugar balance is just one of the many health benefits that a matcha drinker gets (I’ll explain why), keep reading to learn about the myriad health perks below.
5 Reasons to Drink Matcha Everyday
1. Burns fat. Studies have shown that green tea is known to increase fat oxidation in people at rest and improve insulin sensitivity. In addition, the antioxidants in matcha stimulate the release of neurepinephrine, a neurochemical that helps burn fat.
2. Cleans your mouth. Unlike coffee, matcha won’t stain your teeth— the high amount of catethins, known as EGCG, have an antibacterial effect on your mouth and clean plaque and bacteria.
3. Builds immunity. The cathethins that I mentioned in #2 are powerful antioxidants. Matcha is loaded with antioxidants to help remove free radicals from your body and reduce overall inflammation. Matcha has about 137 times more antioxidants than steeped green tea.
4. Boosts brain function. Research shows that matcha contains the amino acid L-theanine which delivers alpha waves to the brain, increasing GABA, serotonin and dopamine levels in the brain.
5. Lowers cholesterol and potentially prevents heart disease. Research shows that the catechins in matcha have been shown to prevent LDL oxidation in endothelial cells.
If you have any reason to consider eliminating coffee— high blood pressure, diabetes, mood swings, blood sugar imbalance, high cortisol, anxiety, fatigue, digestive issues—I highly recommend trying the recipe below. My biggest concern was missing my morning ritual that went with being a coffee drinker— I now have a new ritual that is easy to do at home or work and just as enjoyable. I have tried coffee a couple times since transitioning to matcha and experienced a tremendous bolt of caffeine that made me shaky and anxious. These reintroductions of coffee showed me that coffee might not be such a great thing for my body. Not everyone has this same reaction but I recommend seeing how your system reacts to the change in caffeine levels. Try matcha for increased mental alertness while still maintaining a state of calm.
Creamy Matcha Morning Drink - I have this every morning!
Whisk or blend ingredients together and enjoy! If you like your matcha extra hot, put ingredients into a saucepan to heat.