This is one of my favorite soups to make. It is a thick and hearty soup and almost tastes like a treat-- naturally sweetened by the carrots and made creamy with the coconut milk. The spices are a less familiar taste for my palette so I usually serve this alongside a more basic meal. It goes well with a big plate of green salad and roasted chicken.
- 8 carrots
- olive oil (for roasting carrots)
- 4 cups of water
- 1/2 cup of coconut milk (organic, full fat and unsweetened!)
- 3 cloves of garlic (peeled)
- 1/2 tablespoon of sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons of cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 teaspoons of ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon of chili flakes
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Chop carrots roughly (slice them in half and then cut into chunks).
- Place carrots on a baking tray and toss in olive oil and chili flakes.
- Bake carrots for about 50 minutes, or until tender
- Once carrots are baked, place in a blender with the garlic, sesame oil, spices (cumin, turmeric, ginger, mustard seeds), and coconut milk.
- Blend until smooth and creamy and enjoy!
Recommendation: Enjoy with a slice of gluten and grain-free Rosemary Olive Bread!