Chia seeds are an ideal breakfast or snack because they contain all of the essential macro-nutrients to keep you fueled. If you haven't tried chia seeds or have only used them as a topping instead of the main dish, try out my Warm Coconut Chia Porridge. I eat this for breakfast or sometimes as an afternoon snack, and it tastes like a comforting dessert. No sugar spikes or cravings to follow!
7 Reasons to Get Your Chia On
1. Chia seeds are a complete protein--note to vegetarians!
2. Chia seeds help retain electrolytes. When mixed with water, these little beads absorb up to 10 times their weight. I recommend consuming chia seeds before a workout to stay hydrated.
3. Chia seeds aid in digestive health. One serving contains 11 grams of fiber to keep you regular. These seeds also contain valuable minerals, which are needed to produce enzymes in the body to break down the food you eat.
4. Chia seeds reduce inflammation. Chia contains the highest level of omega 3 fatty acids of any known plant foods, which helps to decrease inflammation throughout the body. An anti-inflammatory diet is important to prevent disease.
5. Chia seeds balance blood sugar. Chia is high in fiber and fat, so it is digested slowly, helping to avoid spikes in blood sugar.
6. Chia seeds promote strong bones. Chia contains calcium, potassium, manganese and phosphorus, helping to maintain bone mass and strength.
7. Chia seeds improve cholesterol levels. Chia seeds have been shown to lower LDL cholesterol and increase HDL cholesterol (the good kind!).
Warm Chia Seed Porridge Recipe
- 4 tablespoons of full fat organic coconut milk, unsweetened (I use this one)
- 1 cup of boiled water
- 3 tablespoons of chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- pinch of flakey sea salt
- Whisk boiling water, cinnamon, vanilla and chia together. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Stir in coconut milk and sea salt.
- Put porridge into a jar or bowl and enjoy!
Optional toppings: coconut milk, cacao nibs, nuts, seeds, goji berries, blueberries, hemp seeds
Coconut Milk Tip: The cream in canned coconut milk often separates from the water. To acheive more of a milky consistency, I remove everything from the can and blend the water and cream together. I use this milk in my coffee on a daily basis and it is delicious!